Friday 5 October 2018

We're off to see the Wizard!

 
We want to share with you, the amazing learning that has been happening with a group of children, that all started with 'Show and Tell'. Marley was so excited to share her Bugsy Malone CD with her friends. This led to a discussion...


“I like watching it and listening to the music. The end one is my favourite.“ –Marley
“I think I’ve seen it and the girl has short hair.” –Annelise
“I watch Dorothy every single Friday.” –Hope
“A long time ago when I was a little bit younger, I watched a show called Cinderella.
Somebody was dressed up singing and dancing.” -Alice
“Maybe we can do our own show?” –Hope
“On dressing up day I was the Wicked Witch.” –Alice
“I was Dorothy.” Marley
“I want to be Toto. I really like Toto because I love dogs. –Hope
“Who can I be?” –Annelise
“There’s lots of characters for us all.” –Alice 


The children asked to research the characters and decided to draw their favourites.







 
"You can watch the music too. Can we see some of the songs please?" -Marley
 
The children watched some songs from the Wizard of Oz and started to get excited, talking about the characters they could be in our show.
 
"That's me, I'm Dorothy." -Marley
 
 
 "Dance with me."

 
"We need the book. Shall we see if it's in the library?" -Alice
 
Unfortunately, we couldn't find the book so decided to ask the Y3 teacher (Who loves musicals!)
She didn't have the book, but did have the costumes from the Wizard of Oz!
The children spent the rest of the day in character, and a crowd soon gathered.
 
 



"The show's not ready yet... we need to practise it properly." -Alice
 
"We need to get ready, we need a mirror." -Hope
 
"Yes, this is our dressing area before the show." -Marley



 
Marley returned after the weekend, with a light box.
 
"It can say anything you like." -Marley
 
"We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz." -Hope
 
"I don't think that'll fit. Maybe, 'We're off to see the Wizard?" -Alice
 
The children then worked with Mrs Hunt to sound out and find the correct letters for our sign.
Once it was finished, they even helped to hang it on the wall.
 
 
 
"We need a yellow brick road!"
 
 
 
The children returned to school to find that the costumes had gone, and instead there were a variety of materials and fabrics.
 
"We need to make our own costumes." -Hope
 
"We need to use the iPad to look at the costumes first." -Scarlett
 
The children then designed their costumes and decided which materials they would need.
 

 
"This one is green for the Witch."




"Look at the book, that will help us." -Isabella
As the week went on, the children decided that, in order for the costumes to fit, they needed to measure themselves and the material.









 
"The Tin Man can't move remember." -Hope
"That's better." -Hope
 
"That Tin Man is really good. You need the other characters now. Can I be the Scarecrow?" -Reuben





 
I wonder where the story will take us next...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop! Drop and Snow....

"It is freezing outside!!!" The snow captivated some of the children today, which meant that they were able to spend some tim...